logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Joern Huxhorn <jhuxh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: log4j-2.0 questions
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:39:01 GMT

On 20.06.2011, at 23:33, ralph.goers @dslextreme.com wrote:

> Hey Mark, thanks for parThere are two cases here. In the first the method signature includes
a Throwable. In that case it is unambiguous and is handled properly. In the second case, Joern
Huxhorn provided the ParameterizedMessage class that detects that the last Object in the array
is a Throwable and handles it.  However, there is an oddity that in some cases the Throwable
appears in the ParameterizedMessage isn't propagated to the LogEvent correctly. I'll create
a test for that and fix it.

Theres an issue in ParameterizedMessage? Please let me know of anything you find out!
I tested that class quite thoroughly...

The fact, that ("{}", someThrowable) does not propagate the Throwable to the event, is by
design. It is only used as the Throwable of the message if it is not "used up" by a placeholder.
Otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to simply use throwable.toString() as a parameter to the
message without also creating a pretty big Throwable including stacktrace, cause, etc.

Cheers,
Joern.