logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j-2.0 questions
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:16:04 GMT

On Jun 29, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Hi Ralph!
>
> Txs for clarifying. I thought the user needs to provide that message object.
>
> Regarding temp object creation: in HotSpot it is now much better than it used to be,
but it's still an overhead.

> Btw, regarding Message objects and i18n logs.
> I had this discussion a while back and I still don't get it why it should be useful to
internationalize logs!

I completely agree. Unfortunately, in order to provide the compatibility API for Log4J 1.x
I had to provide some sort of support for it.

> Imo no message in any error log or whatever logfile else needs to be internationalized.
It is really a pain if you only get a dumb german error message into your log but all you
could find easily on the internet is english. A Hungarian or Thai local user is doomed anyway...

> This is completely different for messages which gets presented to some users, but _not_
for messages which only a technician will see!

Actually, the main reason I am building this is that we use SLF4J/Logback for Audit logging.
The deficiencies in Logback's architecture are what motivated me to do this.  Our audit logs
will be viewable by our customers. But even if they were to be internationalized I would do
it in the UI, not when the logs are written.

> So please revise this approach, it does nothing else than slowing down the logging itself
and fu**n up the log for the poor guy/lady which is looking for a solution on the internet
;)

I don't think the approach needs to be revised. The localization support is handled via the
LocalizedMessage class. As I said, that is there primarily to provide compatibility with Log4J
1.2.  Perhaps I should move that class to the Log4J 1.2 API project.

Ralph