logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing commit messages for rev 1158186 1159577, 1159583
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:20:21 GMT
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
> I didn't see any commit messages for these revisions which I likely means that Christian
isn't subscribed to the log4j-dev list using grobmeire@apache.org and the commit messages
and it is still open, I added a request that any configuration that would allow SVN commit
messages to get through would be appreciated.  I've made an attempt to add grobmeire@apache.org
to the log4j-dev-allow list which hopefully will should let his messages get through without
sending outgoing messages.

I have forwarded on of the commits in question before a while manually
and then subscribed to the list with my apache email address. Besides
these rvs you should have got all the other

> Two of the commits removed substantial sections of build.xml that are used in the Gump
build which caused Gump to start failing to build extras and components as evidenced by the
recent nag messages on log4j-dev.

> Maybe when he returns Stefan might update us on the current capabilities of Gump, but
last time I visited it, it had limited abiiity with Maven, so it depended on the Ant build
to provide the current nightly builds to the entire universe of code it rebuilds and tests
several times a day. I've reverted the changes that removed the targets that Gump configuration
depends upon. Hopefully that will eliminate the nag messages and allow Gump to build and test
extras and component (and anything that depends on them again).

Actually Gump does now build again with Java 1.2. I am not sure how
that works without an error, because all of the components do use 1.4
features. Before reverting the commit, I would have tried to change
the Gump configuration.
Because it "fully supports Apache Ant, Apache Maven (1.x to 3.x)"
(gump.apache.org)
For the time being I would have preferred to leave Gump in an error
state and modify the Gump config instead or disable Gump for the mini
projects.

> It would be good to isolate whitespace changes from non-whitespace changes (or avoid
whitespace only changes). One of the changes to build.xml had a decent number of indent changes
(likely due to a code reformatter) in addition to some non-cosmetic changes. Reformatting
the code, particularly in conjunction with actual changes, complicates code reviews in commit
messages or ViewSVN. If you must reformat, reformat first, commit then make changes.

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1159577
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1159583
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1158186

Will do the next time. I didn't want to change the formatting, but it
was so heavy to read, that I decided to do everything at once.

http://www.grobmeier.de