logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing commit messages for rev 1158186 1159577, 1159583
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:21:06 GMT
Hello Curt,

> On Aug 26, 2011, at 12:12 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> We've supported both building with either Ant or Maven for many years, though releases
have been exclusively Maven for a while. The Ant build and test scripts were necessary to
build and test on JDK 1.3 and earlier (which also required an earlier version of Ant, though
I forget the specific version), but that is obviously less of a concern than it was long time
ago. As far as I can tell, the Ant build works and isn't hurting anyone, so I'd be inclined
to keep it around at least until there is a some discussion to remove Ant as a build environment.

It seems you have missed my prewarning before I did the change:
http://bit.ly/oUAy1R

I saw commons testing on jdk 1.3:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml
(scroll down to the profiles)

Then I would like to point you to the discussion on the JDK 1.3:
http://bit.ly/nDMN7f

Maybe we have supported Ant for many years. But companions are just a
few classes and honstely, do we really expect a second release of
them? I do not. My suggestion is and was to stip off everything which
is not necessary. The ant build and the usage of ant within maven
makes the pom.xml hard to read. The whole build is somewhat complex
compared to other maven projects. I doubt the sense behind it - at
least we are speaking of only a few files in each project.

In addition, I can't open the project with JDK1.3 compiler settings in
eclipse. It is simply to old. I have suggested to level at least to
1.4. Since companions has not been released so far, it should not
cause any trouble. JDK 1.3 users are lost these days. For good
reasons. If people still survive with JDK 1.3, they probably don't
need companions. They need prayers, each day. ;-)

> There were also a couple of other scenarios where it was handy to have the Ant scripts
around. The ant scripts allowed you to test without rebuilding which was handy to check that
the jar that you built on the release platform worked on other platforms. I'm not sure how
easily that can be accomplished with Maven as I think it is going to want to rebuild the jar
first. Also, I recall some JVM (JRocket, Geronimo, gcj) not running Maven, but able to build
and test with Ant.

Maven 2 and 3 is pretty stable and widely spread. Even at Commons
Maven is the standard - a project were components need to work for all
environments. I have not heard that JRocket and others cannot run
Maven. I could not find any references when googling. Somebody said,
JRockit + Maven has a poor performance. But anyway - it is not likely
that companions users will download the sources and compile themself.
Honestly I do not expect a single download except when Scott builds
his Chainsaw. :-)

In addition, mvn test works very well for me. Testing (at least to my
knowledge) does not happen with a jar file, it happens on the compiled
classes. Even when we need to build a jar on each test, no problem
with 3 classes in a project.

Summarizing, I don't think we need the features you outlined. We
should make a quick release now. If we need a feature which is not
provided by maven, we can put it into the code later. And as a second
release is very unlikely...

Would be nice to hear other voices on this one.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de