logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 parameterized msg with throwable
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:21:03 GMT

On Sep 18, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> On 19.09.2011, at 01:29, Ralph Goers wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I was confused and mixed something up...
>>>
>>> I *planned* to implement a thread-specific sequence number but never did so.
I also considered logging the ThreadGroup-hierarchy but didn't do so, yet, because of the
expected performance impact.

>>> Which reminds me, completely off-topic, of another idea concerning a custom Message
implementation:
>>> A ThreadDumpMessage that would not get any parameter at all and would consist
of a ThreadDump if it is actually logged, including the ThreadGroup info etc..
>>> This would have helped me immensely in the past. Instead, I had to trigger thread
dumps via SIG_QUIT at a random points of execution.

>>> Such a Message wouldn't be used in production under normal circumstances but
could be enabled in case of strange concurrency issues...

>> I added it, but as I said, I wish I knew how to include the locks.
>>
>> FWIW, I could have used this 2 days ago when we were trying to debug just such a
concurrency issue.

> I think http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/management/ThreadMXBean.html
could be what you are looking for.
> Haven't given it a try, yet.