logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 parameterized msg with throwable
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:45:57 GMT

On Sep 18, 2011, at 4:54 AM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> Well, I could give you my protobuf but I'm not sure if it makes sense to add it to Log4J
directly.

> It contains more (optional) fields than Log4J will provide, partially since populating
those fields has a performance impact. JUL has an event id by Thread but providing them would
require ThreadLocal handling of the counter, i.e. reduces performance for very little additional
info. Who would really use this information?
> I keep those infos in Lilith so it can import/receive events lossless but I don't think
that Log4J should support them.

Hmmm. I faced something similar in the Flume Appender. You might want to look at the UUIDUtil
class. It generates a UUID that should be unique across servers for 8,925 years.

> So it's probably best to keep this out of the Log4J codebase. If we add it then we'd
have to coordinate future extension. If we leave it out as a third-party implementation of
the SocketAppender layout then I can just change it as needed.

OK.

Ralph