logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Deleting receivers and components 'companions'
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 05:45:57 GMT
On Oct 18, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I would like to see much of what is in extras and component (at least functionality-wise)
be rolled in to log4j 2.  If it's in Chainsaw I really doubt that will happen.  If it's in
extras it may happen but I still doubt it.

> My preference would be to move component and extras and receivers in to log4j 1.2.  If
that isn't worth the effort, moving everything in to extras would be the next best thing.

> Scott

My preference would be to move component and receivers into Chainsaw with extras as a fallback.
Looks like a move to extras is the compromise position. Basically that makes extras the resting
place of backports from log4j 1.3 that were of only specialized interest.

For my understanding of Gary Gregory use of receivers, it should be a net reduction of one
jar by replacing snapshot builds of component and receivers with a release build of extras.
For the project, it is no net increase of release components instead of having to prepare
two additional artifacts for release.

If somebody wants a formal vote, start a vote thread. If someone else wants to tackle it,
please use svn cp's so that the history (which would trace back all the way into log4j 1.3)
is preserved and don't break the component and receivers companions in the process by doing
svn mv's.

If not, I'll take take a shot at moving things around in the next few days.