logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Deleting receivers and components 'companions'
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:17:22 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>
>> I would like to see much of what is in extras and component (at least functionality-wise)
be rolled in to log4j 2.  If it's in Chainsaw I really doubt that will happen.  If it's
in extras it may happen but I still doubt it.

>> My preference would be to move component and extras and receivers in to log4j 1.2.
 If that isn't worth the effort, moving everything in to extras would be the next best thing.

> My preference would be to move component and receivers into Chainsaw with extras as a
fallback. Looks like a move to extras is the compromise position. Basically that makes extras
the resting place of backports from log4j 1.3 that were of only specialized interest.

> For my understanding of Gary Gregory use of receivers, it should be a net reduction of
one jar by replacing snapshot builds of component and receivers with a release build of extras.
For the project, it is no net increase of release components instead of having to prepare
two additional artifacts for release.

> If somebody wants a formal vote, start a vote thread. If someone else wants to tackle
it, please use svn cp's so that the history (which would trace back all the way into log4j
1.3) is preserved and don't break the component and receivers companions in the process by
doing svn mv's.

> If not, I'll take take a shot at moving things around in the next few days.

You mean, moving all the subcomponents in one single extras component?
It seems this is what we all can live with at the moment. Lets do it.
Scott, any objections?

http://www.grobmeier.de