logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: v2 test failure
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 01:03:38 GMT
On May 26, 2012, at 18:38, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

On May 26, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> I just checked out
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/log4j2/trunk
>
> Is this the right place for v2.0.?
>

> That is indeed where it is.  Where were you thinking it should be?

It's quite fine there :) In the long run I'd like to see 1.x move to a
branch and 2.0 move to trunk.

Now, I am new here so please accept this with a grain of salt from my
ignorance of local history ;)

I'd like to see Log4j2 become log4j 2.0 as opposed to log4j2 1.0. I do
realize that because of the API breakage (assuming there is API breakage),
we need a new package but I find the current name... not inspiring ....
o.a.logging.log4j? Do we really expect to have >1 Java logging framework?
If so, it's fine and a nice name, but I would see it abbreviated to just
'log'. Otherwise, the alternative is to do what we've been doing in
Commons-land: foo -> foo2. So you'd have a package and artifact id of
log4j2. The alt alt is to leave it as is.

That subject came up a few weeks ago and it was pretty much agreed upon
that it would be log4j 2.0. I thought I took care of everything already to
do that.

Log4j 1.x used a package name of org.apache.log4j.  Log4j 2 uses
org.apache.logging.log4j in a similar fashion to commons projects. I'm not
sure how changing that to "log" helps anything.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Nope, you're not missing anything, I'm just feeling my way around. :) It
all sounds good.

Gary

Ralph