logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.17 RC3
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 19:20:33 GMT
Hi All:

Because I could not get the full build to run on Windows 7 with Maven 2 or
3. I feel reluctant to VOTE +1 here. This is a know issue due to the use
the GNU app Winres. I get bits and pieces of the build to work but nothing
like the level of confidence I have running Commons builds for different
components. I can build the site (with the Maven stack trace noted in other
RC votes), I can run the tests. The changes seems OK, but... as a new
committer here I need to learn the code some more.

Is the only way to get this to build is to install VirtualBox and a Linux
distro?

I will note the following nits though:

The build instructions use both version 1.2.16 and 1.2.17 in text and
examples, see "
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4j/1.2/building.html

This is not critical but should be fixed in SVN. I would like to see
version agnostic instructions or use the latest version (the one being
built).

I see this warning from M3 and M2:

prepare:
[available] DEPRECATED - <available> used to override an existing property.
[available] Build file should not reuse the same property name for
different values.

Not a showstopper but should be addressed or documented in SVN.

Gary