logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.17 RC2
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 08:36:19 GMT
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Gary Gregory <ggregory@apache.org> wrote:

>     > Your proposal is to create a name with RC in it, vote upon it and to
>     > rename it after the vote is successful.
>     >
>
>     IMO, we should not rename or remove a tag we voted on. It lives forever
> as
>     a record of what we voted on, it becomes part of the history. At least
>     that's what we do in Commons. When the release is done you can copy the
> RC
>     tag to a release tag.

OK I am fine with that also. I wrote what I mentioned above into
building.xml but will change it once the release passed (or before the
next RC).

>     > I think so. In my response to that matter I mentioned we could exlude
>     > the NTEventAppender.dll from the log4j trunk and make it a companion.
>     > Then it should be possible to have a platform independent build. WDYT?
>     >
>
>     I am reluctant to remove a feature from a maintenance release. Because
> our
>     current build sucks does not mean we should remove a feature.

I am not speaking of removing it completely. I just speak of making
two builds out of one. I consider it "maintenance" to improve the
software build too. We need to do something more in that area after
1.2.17, because for example the companions need a release (they block
chainsaw). Anyway, if we would have an easier build probably more
people would be able to serve as release manager.

>     > OK... will reroll another RC soon
>     >
>
>     Thank you for your efforts. I know rolling RC after RC can be a pain,
> but
>     that's how we get the best results!

Sure! Even when I suffer at the moment every time you bring up a new
improvement, I will be glad afterwards, because everything has become
better :-)
Lets see if RC3 will do the trick.

Cheers
Christian