logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.17 RC3
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 12:37:21 GMT
Fellows, any ideas what we can do now?
6 days past and we have no vote (except my implicit one).
We now know we need to improve our build. But I really would like to
start with that after 1.2.17

Suggestion: please let me know if you have a chance to vote or not. I
will gladly wait for another while, but if it is definitely not
possible, we need to see if we can cancel this vote and instead
working towards an improved build.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 7, 2012, at 2:20 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> Because I could not get the full build to run on Windows 7 with Maven 2 or 3. I feel
reluctant to VOTE +1 here. This is a know issue due to the use the GNU app Winres. I get bits
and pieces of the build to work but nothing like the level of confidence I have running Commons
builds for different components. I can build the site (with the Maven stack trace noted in
other RC votes), I can run the tests. The changes seems OK, but... as a new committer here
I need to learn the code some more.

>> Is the only way to get this to build is to install VirtualBox and a Linux distro?
>
> A cloud provider (Amazon Web Services, for example), a bootable USB or CD would be another.
A cloud provider could be problematic since you would not want to have your code signing key
on a machine you don't control.

"http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4j/1.2/building.html

>> This is not critical but should be fixed in SVN. I would like to see version agnostic
instructions or use the latest version (the one being built).

>> I see this warning from M3 and M2:
>>
>> prepare:
>> [available] DEPRECATED - <available> used to override an existing property.
>> [available] Build file should not reuse the same property name for different values.
>>
>> Not a showstopper but should be addressed or documented in SVN.
>
> I haven't followed Ant for a long time. Ant properties since time began have been immutable
once set. it was once acceptable style to take advantage of this documented behavior and,
for example, set properties to a default value that would be ignored if the called provided
an explicit value. Apparently, that fell out of style and hence this warning. I think the
Nant didn't follow that lead and lots of confusion ensued.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de