logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @author tags
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 09:57:45 GMT
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM, ceki <ceki@qos.ch> wrote:
>>
>> On 25.05.2012 19:42, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>>
>>> Over in Commons-lang we've been following the Apache guideline to avoid
>>> @author tags, these grow quickly to long and stale lists. The POM can be
>>> used to track who contributes, all in one place. I propose to remove
>>> @author tags here as well (1.x has these tags, I am not sure about 2.0).
>>

>> This has been proposed several times in the past and rejected each time.
>

> I do not see why we should go against the Apache board's decision:
>
>  - author tags are officially discouraged. these create difficulties in
>   establishing the proper ownership and the protection of our
>   committers. there are other social issues dealing with collaborative
>   development, but the Board is concerned about the legal ramifications
>   around the use of author tags
>
> from:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-dev/200402.mbox/%3C4039F65E.7020406@atg.com%3E

The @author tags in log4j are older than the boards statement. As some
people really like them (and want to see their name in the code) there
is only a chance to ask every author if he would be fine with this
removal. Everything else will just lead to hurt feelings.

That being said, log4j1 is going to deprecate in favor to log4j2. It
is still important that we keep it alive so people can see that this
project is active. With that we have lots of things to do which are
more important than these tags which removals might turn out to become
time consuming task.

> Furthermore and because I have not worked with Ceki in the past, I cannot
> help but see a conflict of interest with his non-ASF logging projects.

I am around since 2009 or 2010 and can only say Ceki never did harm to
the logging project. He of course has an opinion on logging and on the
ASF, but he didn't anything nasty. When time permits he even gives
some constructive feedback although he does not contribute code. These
days he is pretty often saying logback is better than log4j1, which is
true. I am pretty sure in a few months he will be honest on the
comparison between log4j2 and logback.

I actually expect that ASF Logging and slf4j/logback will somehow
benefit from each other. As Ralph already mentioned, he looked a log
on logback. I think some of the things he made "better" can be found
in logback at some day.

Cheers
Christian