logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Extras companion supported by log4j2?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:12:48 GMT
Going through extras.

EnhancedPatternLayout - Curt had some code that I started from for PatternLayout. I don't
know who compatible they are. However, it is safe to assume that the PatternLayout is more
flexible than what is in extras and should contain all the converters plus a few more.

LogMF, LogSF, LogXF - I hope these are not needed. The Logger API in Log4j 2 has a lot of
methods (something Curt wasn't convinced about). As was discussed a few days ago, ParameterizedMessage
supports the SLF4J syntax. If we want to support the Jave MessageFormat that can be done via
a new Message.

RollingFileAppender in Log4j 2 is a bit different but, as I recall, it started from the code
in extras.

Most of the other stuff in extras wasn't brought in as it wasn't needed or was redundant with
stuff already there.

In looking at the net sub package in core I am noticing that there is a JMSTopicReciever and
a JMSQueueReceiver and I also implemented a SocketServer, however these can't currently be
configured.

LogEvent is an interface. If you need something added to it now would be the time to do it.

Ralph

On Jul 22, 2012, at 10:20 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> There are a couple of special things Chainsaw does:
>
>  - it adds properties to each event as they are received (time deltas, the receiver name,
etc) to help with rendering and tab routing if necessary
>  - it turns off log4j logging as well some some commons.util logging (as commons-VFS
used by VFSLogFilePatternReceiver logs passwords, or used to)
>  - to do this I ended up having to use some of the hierarchy stuff in the extras...you'll
see the heavy lifting in LogUI.java

> I ended up making a 'shadow' logging event because each time the event is rendered I
wanted to update the delta from the previously-rendered row...so I expect to have to do some
'heavy lifting' to make loggingevent work with Chainsaw, and that's ok..or I walk away from
using log4j internally and just use receivers to accept events.

> There may be a couple of other things I use..I know I support java.util.logging levels
so there is some support, probably in extras and some in Chainsaw, for mapping those.

> Scott
>
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 22, 2012, at 8:28 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how much of the extras companion would be applicable to log4j2.  I
assume appender and receiver-related things wouldn't change much except for the construction
of LoggingEvents?

> > I can look things over, but Ralph, if you wouldn't mind, would you give extras a
once-over and point out what is redundant with features already provided by log4j2, and what
changes other than event construction would be likely in order to support extras with log4j2?

> > I'd like to support Chainsaw with log4j2 (and existing appenders and receivers etc)
and I don't yet have a sense for what that would take.

> I seem to recall going through extras and pulling several things into Log4j 2 from it.
But yes, I will go through it again.  I know you asked about support for Receivers and I haven't
done anything with that yet.  I've never looked at the Chainsaw code.