logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extras companion supported by log4j2?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 05:20:41 GMT
There are a couple of special things Chainsaw does:

 - it adds properties to each event as they are received (time deltas, the
receiver name, etc) to help with rendering and tab routing if necessary
 - it turns off log4j logging as well some some commons.util logging (as
commons-VFS used by VFSLogFilePatternReceiver logs passwords, or used to)
 - to do this I ended up having to use some of the hierarchy stuff in the
extras...you'll see the heavy lifting in LogUI.java

I ended up making a 'shadow' logging event because each time the event is
rendered I wanted to update the delta from the previously-rendered row...so
I expect to have to do some 'heavy lifting' to make loggingevent work with
Chainsaw, and that's ok..or I walk away from using log4j internally and
just use receivers to accept events.

There may be a couple of other things I use..I know I support
java.util.logging levels so there is some support, probably in extras and
some in Chainsaw, for mapping those.

Scott