logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Log4j 2.0-alpha1 rc1
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:07:54 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Thanks for this excellent feedback Christian. Based on this I am going to cancel the
vote as I agree, there are some items here that really need to be fixed. I will answer a few
below.

Cool!

I can try to fix some issue myself tomorrow, probably starting with
the footer branding.

Now I am in hrury :-)
Cheers
Christian

> On Jul 17, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> tag is building (mvn test) and the reports (rat etc) look all fine. I
>> would like to suggest we add Findbugs after this release.
>>
>> MD5/ASC files all are fine. I could see that LICENSES files etc were
>> all fine too.
>>
>> I have some minor stuff here:
>>
>> - Incosistent use of name:  Apache Log4j2 2.0-alpha1 -> Apache log4j
>> 2.0-alpha1 (Release notes)
>> Name is lowercase and without 2 in it
>>
>> - Branding: Footer on webpage is not containing everything (see log4j1
>> site for details)
>>
>> - META-INF Dependencies contains this entry: From: 'an unknown organization'
>>  - geronimo-jms_1.1_spec
>> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-jms_1.1_spec:jar:1.0
>>  Found in log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>
> I will have to figure out what actually generates that.
>

>> - Footer in Javadoc does not meet branding requirements (same footer
>> as in website)
>>
>> - http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/dependencies.html does show
>> no dependencies, but
>> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/dependency-management.html
>> does. Does it mean log4j 2.0 does only have optional runtime
>> dependencies?
>
> First, each subproject has its own set of reports. The top project that you see at first
has no dependencies because that project is only the parent and has no code. The dependency
management report tells you what managed dependencies are declared in the parent pom. These
are inherited by the child projects.

>> - http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/source-repository.html shows
>> the tag, wouldn't it be better to show the trunk?
>
> Yes - I will see what it takes to do that.
>

>> - Release-Notes.txt does not match:
>> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/changes-report.html or
>> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/jira-report.html
>
> I generate the release notes using mvn -P release-notes generate-resources. This uses
the changes plugin to generate the notes. It should be combining the changes and Jira issues.
I will take a look and see if it is actually merging those reports as it should.

>> - http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/changelog.html does not have
>> a release date and only points to the JIRA change log
>>
>> - http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/surefire-report.html is empty?
>
> The parent project has no code.  You need to select one of the components and look at
the reports to see those reports.

>> - http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/build.html section "Using"
>> is missing. Is the intended?
>
> I didn't complete it.  There are quite a few pages I haven't completed.
>

>> - Topbar: i think it's enough to only link to the main logging site,
>> no need to point to companions or log4j1. If Chainsaw is compatible
>> with log4j2 then it could be pointed to that
>>

>> I am willing to +1 this as this is only minor stuff, but I think I
>> would prefer to fix/discuss some of the problems above. The multiple
>> Changes reports are confusing, the branding is easy to fix and just
>> the naming (capitals or not) is one of the things which would require
>> more work. I mention the naming here again because we have discussed
>> that for a long while on the example of log4php. We agreed the log4php
>> is all in lower case. I don't remember if this was a global discussion
>> or just for log4php, but I think it was more or less global.
>> Personally I am not opposed to leave it Log4j 2.0 but this is the
>> first release, we should do it proper.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> This is a vote to release Log4j 2.0-alpha1, which will be the first release
>>> of Log4j 2.0.
>>>
>>> Tag:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/log4j2/tags/log4j-2.0-alpha1/
>>>
>>> Web site:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/
>>>
>>> Artifacts:
>>> Nexus Staging Location:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-050/
>>> Each of the artifacts below will be located in the location of its Maven
>>> coordinates. For example, log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.jar is located at
>>> org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-core/2.0-alpha1/log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.jar,
>>> under the Nexus staging location.

>>> Log4j 2.0-alpha1
>>>
>>> Details:
>>>
>>> The following artifacts have been staged to the org.apache.logging-050
>>> (u:rgoers, a:99.180.69.21) repository.
>>>
>>> archetype-catalog.xml
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-tests.jar.asc
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1-tests.jar
>>> log4j-flume-ng-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> log4j-jcl-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j12-api-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-bin.zip.asc
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-src.zip
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-bin.zip
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-src.zip.asc
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-src.tar.gz.asc
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-src.tar.gz
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-bin.tar.gz.asc
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1-bin.tar.gz
>>> log4j-distribution-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-tests.jar.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-tests.jar
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> log4j-core-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> log4j-api-2.0-alpha1.pom.asc
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1-sources.jar.asc
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1.pom
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1.jar
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1.jar.asc
>>> slf4j-impl-2.0-alpha1-javadoc.jar.asc

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de