logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extras companion supported by log4j2?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:21:47 GMT
Will spend some time trying to port chainsaw to log4j2 and let you know what I find.

Scott

On Jul 23, 2012, at 12:12 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Going through extras.
>
> EnhancedPatternLayout - Curt had some code that I started from for PatternLayout. I don't
know who compatible they are. However, it is safe to assume that the PatternLayout is more
flexible than what is in extras and should contain all the converters plus a few more.

> LogMF, LogSF, LogXF - I hope these are not needed. The Logger API in Log4j 2 has a lot
of methods (something Curt wasn't convinced about). As was discussed a few days ago, ParameterizedMessage
supports the SLF4J syntax. If we want to support the Jave MessageFormat that can be done via
a new Message.

> RollingFileAppender in Log4j 2 is a bit different but, as I recall, it started from the
code in extras.

> Most of the other stuff in extras wasn't brought in as it wasn't needed or was redundant
with stuff already there.

> In looking at the net sub package in core I am noticing that there is a JMSTopicReciever
and a JMSQueueReceiver and I also implemented a SocketServer, however these can't currently
be configured.

> LogEvent is an interface. If you need something added to it now would be the time to
do it.

> Ralph
>

> On Jul 22, 2012, at 10:20 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>
>> There are a couple of special things Chainsaw does:
>>
>>  - it adds properties to each event as they are received (time deltas, the receiver
name, etc) to help with rendering and tab routing if necessary
>>  - it turns off log4j logging as well some some commons.util logging (as commons-VFS
used by VFSLogFilePatternReceiver logs passwords, or used to)
>>  - to do this I ended up having to use some of the hierarchy stuff in the extras...you'll
see the heavy lifting in LogUI.java

>> I ended up making a 'shadow' logging event because each time the event is rendered
I wanted to update the delta from the previously-rendered row...so I expect to have to do
some 'heavy lifting' to make loggingevent work with Chainsaw, and that's ok..or I walk away
from using log4j internally and just use receivers to accept events.

>> There may be a couple of other things I use..I know I support java.util.logging levels
so there is some support, probably in extras and some in Chainsaw, for mapping those.

>> Scott
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2012, at 8:28 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure how much of the extras companion would be applicable to log4j2.
 I assume appender and receiver-related things wouldn't change much except for the construction
of LoggingEvents?

>> > I can look things over, but Ralph, if you wouldn't mind, would you give extras
a once-over and point out what is redundant with features already provided by log4j2, and
what changes other than event construction would be likely in order to support extras with
log4j2?

>> > I'd like to support Chainsaw with log4j2 (and existing appenders and receivers
etc) and I don't yet have a sense for what that would take.

>> I seem to recall going through extras and pulling several things into Log4j 2 from
it. But yes, I will go through it again.  I know you asked about support for Receivers and
I haven't done anything with that yet.  I've never looked at the Chainsaw code.