logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Java util logging
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2012 04:37:37 GMT
I was able to create a LogManager that would route to Log4j 2.  However, I don't think I want
to commit it.

I've looked at http://people.apache.org/~psmith/logging.apache.org/sandbox/jul-log4j-bridge/examples.html,
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Trinidad_and_Common_Logging and, of course, http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html#jul-to-slf4j.
All of the work by adding a handle to the root logger and then routing through the handler.

OTOH, the LogManager implementation seems pretty nice and it works fairly well in unit tests.
However, when I tried to use it in Tomcat I had to add it to the CLASSPATH definition along
with the other Log4j classes. In addition, Tomcat uses JULI, which also has its own LogManager
implementation and, from what I can tell, other application servers do something similar,
so replacing that with Log4j's doesn't seem like a really good idea.

Given that, I just don't know how usable this implementation would be.

Ultimately, we will probably end up with something similar to the 3 links above.

Ralph