logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Serious log4j-extras issue
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 21:33:27 GMT
log4j-extras has what I would consider a very serious issue as of
version 1.1:

Its jar contains redundant copies of numerous log4j classes.

This was not the case in log4j-extras 1.0.  Without knowing of this
overlap one can easily get log4j-extras in front of log4j in ones
classpath and use the wrong classes as a result.  In my case, I'd
patched log4j to eliminate several concurrency bottlenecks and potential
deadlocks (patches previously provided but not generally applicable due
to use of java.util.concurrent, etc).  Suddenly production systems
started deadlocking, where this could not occur -- and the issue traced
back to log4-extras 1.1's versions of log4j classes.

I figured that there must have been some mistake in building this jar --
and thus trying to build it myself from 1.1 full distribution archive.
There were two issues with that: (1) there were ~20 test failures
despite and (2) after skipping these the resulting jar showed the
problem.  I eventually ended up hacking a short Ant script to produce a
new jar excluding any entry outside META-INF that exists in the latest
log4j.jar.

Thus at this point, I have my solution, but I figured that if anyone
else is trying to use or support log4j-extras they should know.

--
Jess Holle