logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject [v2] Where to put appenders with dependency?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:09:56 GMT
Hi,

lets say we would write an SMTPAppender. It would need dependencies to
some mail framework. If you write an MongoDB Appender you wuold have
dependencies to the Mongo-Connector.

Both dependencies should not come with log4j2 because most people
would not need them. Now my first idea was to create a new artifact
like:

<groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j.extensions</groupId>
<artifactId>log4j-smtp</artifactId>

They could inherit the log4j parent and put into the directory as submodules.

But I believe it might be beneficial to create a separate repository,
lets say log4j2-extensions and maintain them in some way like Apache
Commons or Apache Onami, as independent artifacts with independent
release cycle.

If we would do that, we could have a Sandbox and a Proper folder.
Sandbox could be opened to every ASF committer. I imagine there are a
few people who might want to contribute their things. I know a few
people who maintain some log4j1 related stuff, like osgi-log4j in
Apache Sling or I think in Hadoop is something similar (log4j Hadoop
appender)

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Christian