logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Berkeley DB for Java
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 23:49:40 GMT
What I am looking for is simply a Queue interface that persists log events to disk such that
control can be returned to the caller immediately after writing to the queue and even if the
JVM crashes it is guaranteed that the log event will be delivered even after a restart.  I've
found some code that lets me do that with Berkeley DB for Java. I know that that code base
is quite a bit newer than Berkeley DB itself and I haven't ever heard discussions from anyone
using it to know what kinds of problems there may be. All the uses for HSQL I've ever seen
basically say not to use it for production stuff, although I don't know why. Plus, I really
don't need a full RDBMS to implement a queue.

Ralph

On Mar 2, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> If you are looking for a Java embeddable database, I've used H2 for unit testing a JDBC
piece instead of using heavier databases like MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL and so on.

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using Berkeley DB for Java?  I am looking at creating something
similar to the embedded Flume appender using Berkeley DB as the "file channel" so that I don't
have to bring in all the Flume dependencies and the socket connection to Flume can be done
asynchronously.  In effect, I would be using Berkeley DB as the queue between the client and
the asynchronous portion of the Appender.

> I'd like to know if I am opening myself up for problems in doing this so if anyone has
experience with using it I'd like to know about them.