logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0-beta7 rc2
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 03:49:50 GMT
The test really does do what it is supposed to.  If you add some code that causes a minor amount
of overhead when logging is disabled this test will fail.  It is there to detect that kind
of serious problem.

Ralph

On Jun 3, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Remko Popma wrote:

> I agree with Gary that this test needs some work (or should not be part of the build:
a proper performance test needs 5-10 seconds warmup, so these kind of tests end up taking
too long to be run together with the functional JUnit tests).

> I don't think this test does what it is trying to do. (It won't detect new performance
issues.)

> So I agree with Nick we don't need to treat this as a showstopper.
>
> Remko
>
> PS
> FWIW, I cannot reproduce the issue on my PC at work.
>
> PS2
> Cut off lower half of this mail to prevent Apache mailer daemon from bouncing my message.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013/06/04, at 9:42, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Either there is a bug in the code, in the test, or the test should be excluded from
running as part of the build, in which case, that should be documented in the test Javadoc.
Something needs to be done IMO.

>> Gary
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Nick Williams <nicholas@nicholaswilliams.net>
wrote:
>> The three failing tests are in SimplePerfTest, and the error on all of them is that
the timer was exceeded. This should obviously be looked at either way, but it may be okay
to release a beta with these tests failing IF they are truly only failing because a task took
to long, and not because something is broken.