logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: New log4j-streams Module
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 01:37:41 GMT
That makes a lot of sense to me

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2014, at 6:05 PM, Bruce Brouwer <bruce.brouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can we agree to pull out jpa and jms?
>
> As for web, I know there was some discussion on how we could not register a shutdown
hook. If we broke out log4j-web, maybe we could make it as simple as registering a shutdown
hook if log4j-web is not included, but if log4j-web was included, the shutdown hook is not
registered. It's just an idea.

>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean I split off log4j-streams and put it in a branch. It being the streams module.
>>
>> The web stuff actually makes sense to keep in core. JPA and JMS should probably be
in their own modules. The syslog stuff could be at least in its own packages but still in
log4j-core. I'm unsure about the JSON/YAML ones since they're strictly for configuration and
don't really add many classes overall.

>>> On 29 April 2014 21:55, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> What do you mean “you took care of it?” jpa, jms, web as well as the json
and yaml support are still in core.  I don’t know that we have agreed to move them out yet.

>>> Ralph

a log4j-camel module I was working on).

of log4j-core because they are integrations with other tools. Go ahead and throw darts, that's
what my list is for.

problem comes from all the unnecessary OSGi modules. I'll be deleting those soon as I'm porting
over the OSGi metadata to the appropriate modules so that extra parallel modules are unneeded.

have specifically identified are where I would start. Are there more?

modules keeps coming up and I see different opinions here on the log4j team. Generally, the
argument of "please, no more modules" has won. I wanted to present my perspective to see if
I can sway anyone's opinion.

make more modules. Projects like Spring make plenty of modules. As some have noted, this can
make it difficult to find things sometimes, and I agree. Although there are ways around this
with search.maven.org, it is still a bit of a pain. Some of this can be solved with documentation,
some of it is probably not necessary for log4j.

because of the different features (e.g. batch, security, ...). Log4j is probably not big enough
to warrant breaking it up across feature lines. However, another very valid reason to break
out modules is for integrations. This is where I think log4j should be allowing more modules
to be created: log4j-camel, log4j-ng-flume, log4j-jms, log4j-web, log4j-mongodb, ...

some of the discoverability related to log4j. I do quite frequently find myself seeing what
is available in Maven central. If I found myself browsing around log4j, it could definitely
spark some extra interest: "Oh, they have something specific to JMS?, I'll have to look into
that." I might discover aspects of log4j that I had not previously considered. Right now,
most of those are buried inside of the code and the pom dependencies where I'm not as likely
to investigate further. But having a list of modules named by their integration I may get
more people excited to use log4j 2. It's about advertising.

log4j-streams, but it might if you consider Java's streams as an integration. In a way it
is.

along integration boundaries, which I think would help with osgi as well.

<boards@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
to branches/experimental.

code to a feature branch.

<pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
branch, and you're doing Eclipse, simply show the project's SVN history; then select create
a branch at the revision you want to split from.

not retroactively.

is trivial. A quick google would give you the answer to that.

have a sandbox?

subversion. I just put it in the trunk. If someone could move it to a branch, that would be
great. Same goes for the experimental log4j-camel module I started yesterday.

06:49, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
I thought we decided to keep this in a branch, I could
have been many back and forths. As of now, this means
in 2.0. If so, why is it not in the core or api module?

at 11:45 PM, <mattsicker@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
1587396

module.

Bruce Brouwer for the patch!