logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Broken build
Date Sun, 04 May 2014 14:36:58 GMT
I see two choices here - maintain a use count or just let the OS close the files.

The second would be pretty easy to do once we move the web stuff to its own module as it can
add a property that the console Appender would look for.

The first option is probably better if it could be made to work properly.

Ralph

> On May 4, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Bruce Brouwer <bruce.brouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is what I was starting to investigate with LOG4J2-609.
>
> I don't think this is quite there yet. For one, in StatusConsoleListener.close(), System.out
and System.err can change over time, so doing the != check might still close something that
at one time was System.out but no longer is.

> Also, a StatusConsoleListener is shared among different JSONConfiguration and XMLConfiguration
instances (think about multiple WARs in a Tomcat instance where log4j is in Tomcat's shared
lib directory). If we undeployed one of those WARs, it would shutdown the StatusConsoleListener
that was shared with the other WAR deployments.

> Also think about where some of these WARs wanted to use System.out and others want to
use a log file for status logging. Because of the way these shared loggers are found, only
the first StatusConsoleListener registered would actually take effect. So sometimes when you
start Tomcat, status logs go to System.out, other times they go to a log file. I'd hate having
to debug that one if I didn't know about this issue.

> I have an idea of how to address this, but it unfortunately isn't as simple as closing
the StatusConsoleListener.

>> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hooray, we've finally figured out the bug. :)
>>

>>> On 3 May 2014 19:49, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just updated from SVN and all tests now pass.
>>> The build works now. Thanks!

Please try out the unit tests again and let me know if this solves the issue on Windows.

implement Closeable, and when the listeners are cleared, it should loop through and close
them before clearing the list of listeners. Otherwise, files can stay opened and Windows still
hasn't figured out how to handle that.

changes was exactly what I was doing now... :-)

just comment out the @Test of the failing test - but don’t commit that.

being referenced by something when it is trying to delete it.  It should be because the file
is open but I recall reading that Windows sometimes holds on to file references longer than
it should.  This was probably caused by the changes Matt made to the unit test framework a
month or so ago.  I will bring up my Windows VM and take a look at it this afternoon.

AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> [...]
me last week and I thought I fixed it. But it was failing because the file was empty, not
because it couldn’t be deleted. I guess you must be running on Windows?

I get this problem:

Could not delete target\status.log, last modifed 14/05/04 0:27

rule that seems to fail:
= RuleChain.outerRule(new CleanFiles(STATUS_LOG)).around(new InitialLoggerContext(CONFIG));

log4j-dev-help@logging.apache.org