logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0.1 candidate 1
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:57:18 GMT
+1 Artifacts look good, site looks good.

Minor issues found (no showstoppers IMO):

Artifacts
---------
log4j-distribution-2.0.1-bin.zip/apache-log4j-2.0.1-bin/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
"This is the first GA release, after thirteen prior releases over the last
4 years.

?

Changes in this release..."

-> Should be "...the second GA release..."
-> The question mark "?" should probably be "Bug fixes and enhancements"

Site
----
Download page: "Apache Log4j 2 is signed by Ralph Goers B3D8E1BA"
-> Is this correct for 2.0.1?

Project Info > Dependency Convergence: logj2-perf uses disruptor-3.2.1, but
log4j-core uses disruptor-3.3.0.
(Not an issue since log4j-perf is not a distribution artifact.)

Javadoc: many package docs mention "Log4j 2.0". E.g.
http://people.apache.org/~mattsicker/log4j/2.0.1/log4j-api/apidocs/index.html
Sometime in the future we will release version 2.1, 2.2, etc.
Should we update all Javadoc pages to "Log4j 2" to future-proof them?

Similarly, the FAQ page mentions "the Log4j 2.0 implementation" and "the
Log4j 2.0 API".
We should probably change this to "the Log4j 2 implementation" and "the
Log4j 2 API".

Manual > Introduction (index.html)
"The latest log4j version, including full-source code, class files and
 documentation can be found at
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/index.html."
-> We should change that link to
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/index.html
   (It looks like 2.0 and 2.x both work as URLs.)

Manual > Log4j 1.x Migration also has a few mentions of "2.0".
Manual > Configuration page has one mention of "2.0".
Manual > JMX has six places where log4j-api-2.0.jar etc are mentioned.
-> Can we make these variables to they change with the ${project.version}?
Manual > Custom Log Levels has two places where log4j-core.2.0.jar is
mentioned.
-> Can we make these variables to they change with the ${project.version}?

Manual > Layouts > PatternLayout, %d pattern examples:
%d{HH:mm:ss}{GMT+0} 18:34:02,781 <- this does not look right? The result
has millis instead of timezone...

Manual > Architecture > LoggerConfig > Log Levels: (we may want to rewrite
the text below)
The set of possible levels includes TRACE, DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, and
FATAL.
Note that in Log4j 2, the Level is an Enum and cannot be sub-classed.
Users who desire more granularity are encouraged to use Markers instead.

Manual > Extending Log4j > ContextSelector: missing
AsyncLoggerContextSelector