logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Brouwer <bruce.brou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next release
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 01:29:53 GMT
Ok, this is starting to be simpler, as I'm sure you would all prefer. You
can look at the branch LOG4J-609 again if you like. Here are the
simplifications that I have made.

1) The listeners no longer report their level. They can decide if they want
to do something with a status message in their log method.
2) There is no longer the option to configure the StatusLogger to write to
a file.
3) I moved StatusConsoleListener out of log4j-api and into log4j-core,
where we can probably get away with making more drastic changes to it in
the future (so I can fix LOG4J-609)

I have to check on the tests and stuff, but in general, I'm pretty happy
with how small the impact is and in its ability to make a better solution
for LOG4J-609 possible in the future.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> This actually makes me wonder why you can configure the status logger from
> a configuration file. Shouldn't this just be a system property or something?
>

> On 13 July 2014 18:57, Bruce Brouwer <bruce.brouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The listener can be removed, but nothing ever does. Right now it can
>> never know if it should be removed. And also, all that level checking is
>> cached in StatusLogger. If all you do is change the status level of the
>> listener it has no effect on the cached value in StatusLogger. It may end
>> up having no effect.
>>
>> This is some of the stuff I was trying to clean up with my fix that I
>> have been delinquent with.
>>
>> I will try to simplify this on the branch and see if it makes sense in
>> the next hour or two.
>>

> --
> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>

--