logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0 candidate 1
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:27:33 GMT
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> About the proposed change for LOG4J2-703/713: I don't see any reason why
> this fix can't go in a 2.0.1 or 2.1 release.
>
> In general, I think we agree that in any release log4j-core can have
> changes that are not binary compatible with previous releases. That is why
> the api and core modules are separate: so we are free to make changes to
> core...
>
> To be honest, LOG4J2-703/713 doesn't look like a showstopper, or am I
> missing something?

My concerns are twofold:

- The Closer API has changed. The is a 'public' API and breaks BC; whether
or not we consider this class as public for the purpose of defining our
semantic versifying is a topic we need to address and document to set
expectations for our users. If we say 'classes in package foo' should not
be used by non-log4j-modules, then we are drawn a line in the sand. The
fact that we do not put these classes in an 'internal' package a la Eclipse
is a different topic also.
- First impressions. It would be nice to address easy bugs before 2.0 goes
out; this seems to be an easy bug. Yes, it could be in 2.0.1 or 2.1 but you
only make a first impression once.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com