I can see that, Ralph. I too want to get 2.0 out the door and I believe we are really close. There are a couple of small API things, like what Gary points out and my issue that cause me to desire an rc3. I am totally on board with rc3 being a very short lived rc (as in a week or two). It would be my preference for rc3 and 2.0 to be the same thing, or maybe only different in very minor ways.

To do this, would it make sense to make a 2.0 branch so we can continue to work on trunk and then only pull issues from trunk to the branch during this 1 or 2 week period I mention if it is absolutely necessary? (possibly not even minor bug fixes) It would help my confidence as a user of log4j2 if I could use rc3 in some apps during that time. Then cut the 2.0 release from that branch.

So as of this moment, my vote is 0 for 2.0, but I believe that very soon my vote will be +1.