logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Alvaro de Lucas <alvarolu...@yahoo.es>
Subject Log4j2 improvement?
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:05:20 GMT
Hi there,

First of all, sorry about my poor english. I hope you'll understand this email... and this
is the right way to do this...

I would try to explain in 2 minutes to what I think it could be a good improvement for the
amazing log4j2 library...(in case it doesn't already exist...)
I'm developing a service (based on a J2EE web server and an App) and I've been working with
log4j v2 intensively last days using it in a J2EE project.
Now I'm trying to upgrade the log4j v1 I used in the app to v2, and I would like to use a
similar log4j2.xml file I used on the web server.
I've been unable to use log4j2 in the App in the same way I use it in the web server (probably
because its a servlet 3.0 and it uses  Log4jServletContextListener and Log4jServletFilter...).There,
you just need to use LogManager.getLogger ("foo") to load the foo logger described in the
log4j2.xml, and everything is quite easy...
But as I said, I think I'm not able to load the log4j2.xml on Android environment (and I put
the file in every directory :-)... and when I call LogManager.getLogger ("foo") everything
explodes (it raises and exception...)
I've read the manual, I looked into the API, I searched into all kind of forums, ... but I've
just found a lot of people in the same situation and I think I'm looking for something that
doesn't exist...
In the situation I describe, I think the typical solution is to configure everything from
scratch programatically... but it will be complex and difficult to do and manage...
I think the best solution in this case would be to provide the log4j2.xml information directly
into a String... (instead putting the file in a concrete place and wait for the lib to find
it, it would be great to be able to give it directly the content of the file into a String
and use this alternative when there's no way to load the file...
I've found a lot of people trying to put the file here and there looking for the lib to find
it when it looks easier to send the configuration information direcly into a String variable...

Does it have any sense for you?Does this already exist? is there a way to do it using what
already exists?

Thank you very much in advanceKindest regards
(Yesterdary I posted about this on StackOverflow here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28235021/log4j2-on-android)