logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] EOL for Log4j 1.x
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:30:22 GMT
Hi all,

we are actively working on Log4j 2.x, but Log4j 1.x hasn't been touched
since the last release. I was doing the last one, and I can't see I will
find the time or motivation in any time to roll out another one. Nobody
else stood up since then. That's OK, because I can observe the community
adapting Log4j 2. No numbers, just feelings.

I would like to propose to mark an EOL date for Log4j 1.x by the end of
the year. As we don't fix things (most likely) with 1.x, this is not
about "maintenance" at all. The future date might be more or less our
signal that we want to actively help our users migrating to 2.x.

We can use the remaining time to write or improve documentation, maybe
even write some migration tool.

In the announcement we should highlight the history of Log4j 1, it's
problems and why we think Log4j 2.x is the best way to log in Java
today.

Let me know what you think about this idea. All feedback - committer or
not - is welcome.

I suggest we leave this discussion open until we reached an agreement or
at least one week, so everybody got a chance to look into this.

Regards,

Christian