logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EOL for Log4j 1.x
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:22:45 GMT
We don’t get too much activity on bugzilla. If some of those users don’t get the message
and open Jira issues instead I really don’t have a problem in closing them as being invalid
as it isn’t going to happen very often.  I’d rather do that then give the impression that
by creating an issue in bugzilla that someone is actually going to do something. That hasn’t
been true for at least 5 years.

Ralph

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 7:42 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I agree that 1.x is ready for EOL and I too feel bad for users that take time to work
in Bugzilla. Closing Bugzilla will just make some users create Jira tickets though. It might
still be good to have an apache place where users can collect 1.x patches and discuss 1.x
issues that we can still monitor, especially since there is much information already there.
Keeping it read only does not quite fit that bill but i get weary of typing "not actively
maintained". I guess closing might help send a clearer message. I see that Struts starts at
2.0 in Jira.

> Do we all feel that 2.x has all the features and compatibility needs to shut down? Seems
like yes to me. Rolling file appenders need some tweaks imo and we have tickets for that.

> I do like the struts FAQ and especially the last entry.
>
> I have a big proprietary app server at work on 1.x and started a branch to port it to
2.x last year but I got stalled when it came time to porting our custom appenders and custom
initialization code. It's just too much work. If I had to redo it I would start with using
the 1.2 compatibility jar to get to dealing with our custom bits sooner. That's what I would
advise people to do.