logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4j2 RollingFileAppender deadlock issue
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2015 08:08:30 GMT
Benchmark done
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-812?focusedCommentId=14614174&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14614174>,
and ThreadLocal is a clear winner over synchronized block.

I've started implementing a ThreadLocal registry but I stopped when I
realized this won't solve the memory leak problem: ThreadLocal.remove()
only removes the value for the current thread. Values created for other
threads in the thread pool will not be removed...

Instead, I propose we create a SoftThreadLocal class which wraps the value
(the SimpleDateFormat in this case) in a SoftReference before storing it in
the ThreadLocal. This allows the JVM to reclaim the memory when necessary,
which should solve the memory leak. It also means we no longer need to
explicitly clear() things when the LoggerContext is stopped.

This is also a reusable solution because we can use this class everywhere
we use ThreadLocal to cache objects for performance.

Thoughts?