logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Layouts requiring headers vs. message based appenders
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2015 15:20:49 GMT
I think the layout header/footer idea was originally designed with HTML/XML format log files
in mind. For a File appender (where the "unit of work" is a file) that means write the layout's
header at startup and write the layout's footer at rollover or shutdown.

Still, the concept is general enough to work with all kinds of appender/layout combinations.
It's just that different appenders have different "units of work".

If the unit of work for a certain appender is a message, it seems reasonable to prefix each
message with the header and postfix each message with the layout's footer.

Why does this not work with KafkaAppender? (Sorry, I haven't checked the source...)

If there really is a mismatch here, we can make use of the fact that we know how things work
under the hood (for the built-in appenders and layouts): each appender can check if it knows
the layout and whether it should ask the layout for its header/footer  or whether it should
ignore the layout header/footer and write some byte sequence specific to the appender instead.

For an unknown layout, the appender has to make a reasonable choice, which we need to document
on the site).

Does this answer your question?

Remko

> On 2015/11/09, at 18:18, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>
> This JIRA issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1195
>
> points out that we have kind of a conceptual problem. Some layouts, such as SerializedLayout,
require a header. This does not work with message based appenders with layout support like
KafkaAppender (and I guess JmsAppender and JeroMqAppender have the same issue).

> Should those appenders write layout header in every message, or should we just document
that certain combinations of layouts and appenders are not supported?

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,