logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: One Include to rule them all
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:00:03 GMT
Yes, I would only check the files all at the same time.  Which value to use would most likely
follow the rules for merging all duplicate attributes.

Ralph

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 12:21 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With a multi-configuration, would the file watcher thread sync up the times together?
I wouldn't want them to alternate and have to reload the configuration more times than necessary
because I updated two config files at the same time.

> On 2 March 2016 at 13:10, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Which ever way we do it, merge vs. include, the big picture item is that Log4j knows
about these files and therefore can watch them and reconfigure itself. I'm OK with either
approach. The multiple configuration is simpler in the sense that it does not require new
Configuration elements or attributes. I assume that you just list them one after the other
in some sys prop. Otherwise, I would not want Log4j hunting all over my classpath for config
files and merging them all, that would not be good IMO.

> Gary
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> I never really wanted to do includes.  I would prefer to support multiple configuration
files that are merged - see LOG4J2-494.  I view the XInclude for XML files as a special case.

> If I did want to support includes I would not want to allow a monitorInterval on the
include element. The value on the configuration should be used.  I have no idea what it would
mean to have a monitorInterval of 0 on the main configuration and a non-zero value on an include.
Likewise, having a main monitorInterval of 60 and an interval of 30 on an include also doesn’t
seem right.

> Ralph
>

>> On Mar 2, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Stemming from discussion in https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/25 <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/25>
>>
>> How about finally adding our own include mechanism:
>>
>> <Include monitorIntervalSeconds="60">file://...</Include>
>>
>> If Configuration has a monitorInterval, then Includes inherit the setting, if you
set an Include monitorInterval to 0 then, then it is not watched.