logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: One Include to rule them all
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 18:54:42 GMT
I never really wanted to do includes.  I would prefer to support multiple configuration files
that are merged - see LOG4J2-494.  I view the XInclude for XML files as a special case.

If I did want to support includes I would not want to allow a monitorInterval on the include
element. The value on the configuration should be used.  I have no idea what it would mean
to have a monitorInterval of 0 on the main configuration and a non-zero value on an include.
Likewise, having a main monitorInterval of 60 and an interval of 30 on an include also doesn’t
seem right.

Ralph

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Stemming from discussion in https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/25 <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/25>
>
> How about finally adding our own include mechanism:
>
> <Include monitorIntervalSeconds="60">file://...</Include>
>
> If Configuration has a monitorInterval, then Includes inherit the setting, if you set
an Include monitorInterval to 0 then, then it is not watched.