logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Fast and Furious
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 00:13:41 GMT
Actually, most of the tests have the commands in the comments right in the class. Just cut
and past.

Ralph

> On Mar 1, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can't even figure out how to execute the simple perf test class. IntelliJ gives me
some annotation processing error, and doing it from the command line is turning into a classpath
nightmare to figure out what jars are needed to execute the test manually.

> On 1 March 2016 at 11:34, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Before the talk: Hi, I'm Remko, I help on Apache Log4j, are you available after the preso
to talk about some issue we are seeing?

> Gary
>
> On Mar 1, 2016 8:29 AM, "Matt Sicker" <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> I'm attending a JUG meetup tonight with Kirk Pepperdine presenting. It's supposed to
be a Java performance workshop type of thing, so if you've got a decent way to ask about it,
I could see if he can help figure out this regression. I can at least show off the SimplePerfTest
and any microbenchmarks we have.

> On 28 February 2016 at 11:54, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Take a look at the git bisect command. Might help you find which changes caused the problem.
>

> On Sunday, 28 February 2016, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Thank you for digging in Remko. This is will be a nice theme to publicize when you get
it figured out.

> Gary
>
> On Feb 28, 2016 4:08 AM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com <>> wrote:
> After removing the potential impact of appenders and layouts by testing with log4j-core\src\test\resources\perf-CountingNoOpAppender.xml
and org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.perftest.SimplePerfTest, I've confirmed my initial
numbers:

> 2.0: 7.5M ops/sec
> 2.1: 6M ops/sec
> 2.2: 6M ops/sec
> 2.3: 6M ops/sec
> 2.4: 4.5M ops/sec
> 2.5: 4M ops/sec
> 2.6: 2M ops/sec
>
> I tried reverting various changes made to AsyncLogger since 2.0, performance improves
a little up to 4M ops/sec.
> However, when completely reverting AsyncLogger source to the 2.0 version, performance
is back to 7.5M ops/sec.

> I'll try starting from the 2.0 source and getting back to 2.6 functionality without losing
performance...
> (Lengthy process...)
>

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <>>
wrote:
> This is the PerfTestDriver test class (in log4j-core/test, package ...async.perf).
> Mainly perf3PlainNoLocation.xml:
> RollingRandomAccessFileAppender, PatternLayout, all loggers are AsyncLoggers, logging
a simple string without parameters.

> Profiling with YourKit did not tell me anything useful.
>
> I'm now eliminating the effect of Layouts/Appenders, using CountingNoOpAppender, and
seeing similar numbers. So this seems to be mostly an issue in AsyncLogger.

> I'll let you know when I find out more.
> There's a lot of trial and error here, so this may take a while...
>
> Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2016/02/26, at 21:02, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <>> wrote:
>
>> Which components (appenders, layouts) are involved in the tests? Would it be possible
to do some profiling to see if there is any particular component which is to blame?

>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <>>
wrote:
>> To give you some rough impression on concrete numbers for this trend:
>> 2.0: ~6M ops/sec
>> 2.1-2.2: ~5M ops/sec
>> 2.3-2.4: ~3-4M ops/sec
>> 2.5: ~3M ops/sec
>> 2.6: ~2M ops/sec
>>

>> On Friday, 26 February 2016, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>> You're absolutely right. I still have quite a few unit tests to add.
>>
>> Initial perf testing shows a downward trend in Async Logger performance with every
release. (Logging simple string messages without params.) This is worrisome and I'm focusing
on figuring that out first: this will likely involve additional code changes and I'll add
more tests after that.

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 2016/02/26, at 10:38, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, I love the activity we are seeing toward 2.6! All the perf work on top of
an existing sizable change set. Very exciting indeed.

>>> There sure are a lot of changes coming in. I hope that we all can pitch in to
make sure most if not all of these changes get code coverage from unit tests. I've not checked
closely, but it seems like we may not have good coverage _yet_, or do I have the wrong impression?

>>> I want to make sure we keep our stability in tip top shape :-) and that we have
no regression from previous releases.

>>> Gary
>>>
>>> --
>>> E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com <> | ggregory@apache.org  <>
>>> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>

>>> Home: http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
>>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>
>>

>> --
>>

>> Mikael Ståldal
>> Senior software developer
>>
>> Magine TV
>> mikael.staldal@magine.com <>
>> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>>
>> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you
are not the addressee indicated in this message
>> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone. In such case,