logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Thomas <greg.d.tho...@gmail.com>
Subject DefaultRolloverStrategy; reducing max backup index
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 14:03:06 GMT
We're using a RollingFile appender with the DefaultRolloverStrategy;
we've noticed that if we reduce the max backup index (e.g. from
max="10" to max="5") after files have been created then we end up with
some files that look like they are current, but never get deleted,
i.e.

test.log
test.1.log
test.2.log
test.3.log
test.4.log
test.5.log
^^^ These files are rolled, according to their size
test.6.log
test.7.log
test.8.log
test.9.log
test.10.log
^^^ These files remain forever, which leads to confusion.

Is this
a) A bug,
b) An undocumented, but otherwise desirable feature, or
c) An undesirable feature that ideally should be fixed
?

Thanks,

Greg