That's what I meant, I didn't make myself clear. For example, we could offer a simple binary layout:
time stamp (8 bytes)
level int (4 bytes)
thread ID (4 bytes) - Thread names in separate file
Logger ID (4 bytes) - Logger names in separate file.
message length (4 bytes)
message type (2 bytes)
message data (variable length)
throwable length (4 bytes)
throwable data (variable length)

It's a very different approach to logging. On the plus side, this would be extremely compact and very fast to write.

On the other hand it would require a separate tool to decode/display the data in human readable form. Such a tool should handle text messages out of the box, but for custom messages I image there could be some plugin mechanism for custom decoders.

All very interesting...
:-)

Sent from my iPhone