logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 evangelism
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:34:27 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/07/03, at 5:01, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> Personally, I don’t think talks do all that much. Articles are great, but IMO the best
route is in trying to get other open source projects to use Log4j.
+1

> Then people who start to use those other projects are forced to learn about Log4j.
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Jul 2, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If we could get a talk in to something big like JavaOne, that might help adoption,
though I have no idea what kind of talks they accept from non-Oracle people (if any).

feature set and performance, I get the impression that adoption is quite slow. I could be
wrong, but how many open source projects use Log4j 2? Or even how many Apache projects?

our uptake. Some things I've been thinking about:

Log4j 2 at the bottom in a footnote. That needs to be the other way around in my opinion.
The Wikipedia Java logging framework page is even worse.

>>> I updated the Apache Logging page to mention that Log4j 1 is EOL.

but it does so in two modest sentences that don't visually stick out and are easily ignored.
At the very least the download page needs a mention of the EOL and a link to the Log4j 2 project,
but it may be good to have a notification on every page.

>>> I added the EOL announcement to the top of all main pages in the Log4j 1 site.

if we can make more people enthusiastic so they write blog posts or tutorials etc about Log4j
2.
start a page on Projects Using Log4j 2 and mention people who did the conversion by name?
Or some other way?