logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 evangelism
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 17:50:44 GMT
It may help if the performance chart for multiple threads were moved to the index page, followed
by simple code use and integration steps for other libraries.  The front page could be less
verbose and more informative / executive summary'ish.

When looking for packages on NPM the first thing I look at is downloads followed by API use
cases.

Here's a superagent example:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/superagent

For log4j2 replace the superagent ferret with the performance chart

Ferret: 50K downloads in the last day (Good)
Log4J2: ?

Ferret: Simple all encompassing API (Good)
Log4J2: ?

Ferret: installation (Very easy)
Log4J2: This is the biggest hangup for people

If it's easy to switch out SLF4J, etc. then that's a big plus. Maybe just one example (Play
framework, Spring Boot), followed by links for other scenarios.

Ferret: Plugin support - excellent
Log4J2: ?

The current index page sort of has this stuff, but with superagent I get it all with a quick
glance.

Cheers,
Ole

On 07/04/2016 03:47 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> We have benchmarks pretty prominently displayed:
>
> https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/performance.html
>
> Also, SLF4J is comparable to log4j-api; both need a logging library to actually work
such as log4j-core, logback, log4j 1.x, or java.util.logging.

> Personally, I've found async logging to be a killer reason to switch due to all the performance
issues other logging libraries cause.

> On 4 July 2016 at 15:33, Ole Ersoy <ole.ersoy@gmail.com <mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>     I personally like log4j 2 a lot (Because of Java 8 lambda support, cleaner architecture,
etc.) and switching for me was really easy because I use lombok annotations to generate the
logger. But what would be the "Killer" reason to upgrade if say someone is using SLF4J?  For
example HikariCP has this JMH Benchmarking chart on their front page that makes a pretty convincing
case:
>     https://github.com/brettwooldridge/HikariCP
>
>     Happy 4th,
>     Ole
>

>     On 07/04/2016 02:37 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
>>     So what sites are best to get syndicated on for this? I get a lot of my programming
news from various subreddits for instance (r/programming, r/java, r/coding) along with Twitter.
Otherwise, I learn about new things usually from java user groups or online presentations
before digging into detailed tutorials and books.

>>     On 3 July 2016 at 10:11, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>         On Jul 2, 2016 4:34 PM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >
>>         > Sent from my iPhone
>>         >
>>         > On 2016/07/03, at 5:01, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>         >
>>         >> Personally, I don’t think talks do all that much. Articles are
great, but IMO the best route is in trying to get other open source projects to use Log4j.

<mailto:boards@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>> If we could get a talk in to something big like JavaOne, that
might help adoption, though I have no idea what kind of talks they accept from non-Oracle
people (if any).
>>         >>>
>>         >>> On 2 July 2016 at 08:57, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com
<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>         >>>>>
>>         >>>>> In spite of the fact that Log4j 2 has a very compelling
story in terms of feature set and performance, I get the impression that adoption is quite
slow. I could be wrong, but how many open source projects use Log4j 2? Or even how many Apache
projects?
>>         >>>>>
>>         >>>>> I propose we try to generate some ideas about what we
can do to increase our uptake. Some things I've been thinking about:
>>         >>>>>
>>         >>>>> * Rewrite the Wikipedia page on Log4j. It's mostly about
Log4j 1.2 and mentions Log4j 2 at the bottom in a footnote. That needs to be the other way
around in my opinion. The Wikipedia Java logging framework page is even worse.
>>         >>>>> * The Apache Logging site has no explicit mention that
Log4j 1 is EOL.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> I updated the Apache Logging page to mention that Log4j
1 is EOL.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>>>
>>         >>>>> * Only the top page on the Log4j 1 site mentions that
the project is EOL, but it does so in two modest sentences that don't visually stick out and
are easily ignored. At the very least the download page needs a mention of the EOL and a link
to the Log4j 2 project, but it may be good to have a notification on every page.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> I added the EOL announcement to the top of all main pages
in the Log4j 1 site.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>>>
>>         >>>>> * Can we get other people involved in evangelizing log4j
2? It would be great if we can make more people enthusiastic so they write blog posts or tutorials
etc about Log4j 2.
>>         >>>>> * How can we incentivise people to convert their project
to Log4j 2? Maybe start a page on Projects Using Log4j 2 and mention people who did the conversion
by name? Or some other way?