logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Log
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2016 03:02:32 GMT
I didn’t do anything different this time. I think it just has to do with the number of releases
that are happening at the same time as to whether the full announcement is published. Clearly,
the blog is aware of earlier releases:

https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/date/20160603
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/date/20160610

The blog entry to announce 2.0GA was 2 years ago https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_announces59

But this is very strange: https://blogs.apache.org/logging/

Ralph

> On Jul 10, 2016, at 4:35 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's the first blog post there in almost 2.5 years! How can we get more entries in
there?

> On 10 July 2016 at 17:45, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Blogged:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released <https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released>
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.6.2 release!
>
> Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior. Log4j 2 is an
upgrade
> to Log4j that provides significant improvements over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x, and
provides
> many other modern features such as support for Markers, lambda expressions for lazy logging,
> property substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a PatternLayout and asynchronous
> Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature is the ability to be "garbage-free" (avoid allocating
> temporary objects) while logging. In addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while reconfiguring.
>
> This is the twelfth GA release. It is primarily a bugfix release. More details on the
> fixes are itemized below.
>
> Note that subsequent to the 2.6 release a minor source incompatibility was found due
to the
> addition of new methods to the Logger interface. If you have code that does:
>
> logger.error(null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> or similar with any log level you will get a compiler error saying the reference is ambiguous.
> To correct this either do:
>
> logger.error(“This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> or
>
> logger.error((Marker) null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> Log4j 2.6.2 maintains binary compatibility with previous releases.
>
> GA Release 2.6.2
>
> Changes in this version include:
>
> New features:
> o LOG4J2-1395:  Add "direct" option to ConsoleAppender for increased performance.
> o LOG4J2-1437:  (GC) ObjectMessage and ReusableObjectMessage now avoid calling toString()
on auto-boxed primitive parameters.
> o LOG4J2-1415:  (GC) ParameterFormatter now avoids calling toString() on auto-boxed primitive
message parameters.
> o LOG4J2-1412:  Unbox utility's ringbuffer of StringBuilders is now configurable.
>
> Fixed Bugs:
> o LOG4J2-904:  If copy and delete fails in rename action then resort to truncating the
source file after copying it. Thanks to Bernhard Mähr.
> o LOG4J2-1250:  CronTriggeringPolicy was not properly setting the prevFileTime value
for the PatternProcessor so
>         file dates and times on rolled files were incorrect.
> o LOG4J2-1452:  Fixed issue where reusable messages broke flow tracing logic. Thanks
to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1440:  Fix bug in OnStartupTriggeringPolicy that allowed it to roll over on
every reconfiguration. Added
>         minSize attribute.
> o LOG4J2-1414:  Fixed minor issues with the 2.6.1 web site. Thanks to Ralph Goers.
> o LOG4J2-1434:  Ensure that the thread-local StringBuilders used by Layouts to format
log events to text will not
>         retain excessive memory after a large message was logged. Thanks to Luke Butters.

> o LOG4J2-1418:  Provide MessageFactory2 to custom Logger implementations.
> o LOG4J2-1420:  RollingRandomAccessFileManager was not properly rolling over on startup
and was getting a NullPointerException.
> o LOG4J2-1417:  Fixed issue where Unbox utility ignored the value Constants.ENABLE_THREADLOCALS
and always stored non-JDK classes in ThreadLocals.
> o LOG4J2-1422:  Fixed issue where AsyncAppenderQueueFullPolicyTest sometimes hangs.
> o LOG4J2-1445:  OnStartupTriggeringPolicyTest fails on Windows saying the file is used
by another process. Thanks to Ludovic HOCHET.

> Changes:
> o LOG4J2-1432:  Update Jackson from 2.7.4 to 2.7.5.
> o LOG4J2-1433:  Update Jansi from 1.11 to 1.13.
> o LOG4J2-1444:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.11 to 1.12.
>

> Apache Log4j 2.6.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j 2.3 was the last
release that
> supported Java 6.
>
> Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api component, however
it does not implement some of the