logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j should manage it's own threads
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 21:34:21 GMT
I’m not aware that frameworks like Log4j actually adhere to those guidelines. It is too difficult
to write code that works in both the JEE and non-JEE environments.

Ralph

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
>
> In an EE environment, don't create your own threads. If you do create your own threads,
the EE server has no way to shut them down when an application gets undeployed. You'd want
to have the EE server manage the thread creations.

> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> I'll get around to it ;-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Anyone wanna make a jira ticket for this? I'm not sure on how best to describe this.
>
> On 5 July 2016 at 09:00, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> I'm not sure how many threads we spawn are actually reusable, but gathering them into
a single pool would definitely help figure out which ones can be used.

> Also, would this be vaguely related to the custom Log4j ThreadLocal object we were thinking
about a little while ago?

> On 5 July 2016 at 04:52, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea. I think it's also good to reuse threads for performance.
>
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> This sounds like an interesting idea worth pursuing.
>
> On 4 July 2016 at 14:56, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> When I see code like:
>
>                     LOGGER.debug("RollingFileManager executing async {}", descriptor.getAsynchronous());
>                     thread = new Log4jThread(new AsyncAction(descriptor.getAsynchronous(),
this));
>                     thread.start();
>
> and:
>
>             final Thread thread = new Log4jThread(new ReconfigurationWorker(listener,
reconfigurable));
>             thread.setDaemon(true);
>             thread.start();
>
> and other places, I think: "and poof, I've lost track of that thread".
>
> What if we used a thread pool (ExecutorService) to track all of our threads? This would
allow for at least trying for an orderly shutdown. This would avoid problems like one part
of an app thinking that rollovers should be done when they are not because a log4j context
has been stopped (like in our test probably) but the rollover thread is still going about
doing its work.

> This would be for 2.7 I think.
>
> We could then have a different context stop API, maybe with a timeout or not, something
like ExecutorService's shutdown() vs. shutdownNow().

> Thoughts?
>
> Happy 4th!
>
> Gary
>
> --
> E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com <mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com> | ggregory@apache.org
 <mailto:ggregory@apache.org>
> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com <http://garygregory.wordpress.com/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/ <http://garygregory.com/>
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>
>

> --
> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
>

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,