logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Log
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2016 03:08:49 GMT
That is true for getting the announcement on the Apache front page and in the announcement
mailing list.

The blog is separate. I did need to ask infra to set up an account before I could log in to
blogs.apache.org.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/07/11, at 12:05, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> You don’t need to ask infra for anything.  You just send to announce@apache.org with
your @apache.org email address and [ANNOUNCE] in the subject.  FWIW, this is why I have to
send two emails - I am not subscribed to any ASF mailing lists using my apache.org email address,
so I can’t include announce@ in my emails to the lists.

> Ralph
>
>> On Jul 10, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Blogged:
>>
>> https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released
>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
wrote:
>>> The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.6.2 release!
>>>
>>> Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior. Log4j
2 is an upgrade
>>> to Log4j that provides significant improvements over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x,
and provides
>>> many other modern features such as support for Markers, lambda expressions for
lazy logging,
>>> property substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a PatternLayout and
asynchronous
>>> Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature is the ability to be "garbage-free"
(avoid allocating
>>> temporary objects) while logging. In addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while
reconfiguring.

>>> This is the twelfth GA release. It is primarily a bugfix release. More details
on the
>>> fixes are itemized below.
>>>
>>> Note that subsequent to the 2.6 release a minor source incompatibility was found
due to the
>>> addition of new methods to the Logger interface. If you have code that does:
>>>
>>> logger.error(null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>>>
>>> or similar with any log level you will get a compiler error saying the reference
is ambiguous.
>>> To correct this either do:
>>>
>>> logger.error(“This is the log message”, throwable);
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> logger.error((Marker) null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>>>
>>> Log4j 2.6.2 maintains binary compatibility with previous releases.
>>>
>>> GA Release 2.6.2
>>>
>>> Changes in this version include:
>>>
>>> New features:
>>> o LOG4J2-1395:  Add "direct" option to ConsoleAppender for increased performance.

>>> o LOG4J2-1437:  (GC) ObjectMessage and ReusableObjectMessage now avoid calling
toString() on auto-boxed primitive parameters.
>>> o LOG4J2-1415:  (GC) ParameterFormatter now avoids calling toString() on auto-boxed
primitive message parameters.
>>> o LOG4J2-1412:  Unbox utility's ringbuffer of StringBuilders is now configurable.

>>> Fixed Bugs:
>>> o LOG4J2-904:  If copy and delete fails in rename action then resort to truncating
the source file after copying it. Thanks to Bernhard Mähr.
>>> o LOG4J2-1250:  CronTriggeringPolicy was not properly setting the prevFileTime
value for the PatternProcessor so
>>>         file dates and times on rolled files were incorrect.
>>> o LOG4J2-1452:  Fixed issue where reusable messages broke flow tracing logic.
Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
>>> o LOG4J2-1440:  Fix bug in OnStartupTriggeringPolicy that allowed it to roll
over on every reconfiguration. Added
>>>         minSize attribute.
>>> o LOG4J2-1414:  Fixed minor issues with the 2.6.1 web site. Thanks to Ralph Goers.

>>> o LOG4J2-1434:  Ensure that the thread-local StringBuilders used by Layouts to
format log events to text will not
>>>         retain excessive memory after a large message was logged. Thanks to Luke
Butters.
>>> o LOG4J2-1418:  Provide MessageFactory2 to custom Logger implementations.
>>> o LOG4J2-1420:  RollingRandomAccessFileManager was not properly rolling over
on startup and was getting a NullPointerException.
>>> o LOG4J2-1417:  Fixed issue where Unbox utility ignored the value Constants.ENABLE_THREADLOCALS
and always stored non-JDK classes in ThreadLocals.
>>> o LOG4J2-1422:  Fixed issue where AsyncAppenderQueueFullPolicyTest sometimes
hangs.
>>> o LOG4J2-1445:  OnStartupTriggeringPolicyTest fails on Windows saying the file
is used by another process. Thanks to Ludovic HOCHET.

>>> Changes:
>>> o LOG4J2-1432:  Update Jackson from 2.7.4 to 2.7.5.
>>> o LOG4J2-1433:  Update Jansi from 1.11 to 1.13.
>>> o LOG4J2-1444:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.11 to 1.12.
>>>

>>> Apache Log4j 2.6.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j 2.3 was
the last release that
>>> supported Java 6.
>>>
>>> Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api component,
however it does not implement some of the