logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Log
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2016 03:05:41 GMT
You don’t need to ask infra for anything.  You just send to announce@apache.org with your
@apache.org email address and [ANNOUNCE] in the subject.  FWIW, this is why I have to send
two emails - I am not subscribed to any ASF mailing lists using my apache.org email address,
so I can’t include announce@ in my emails to the lists.

Ralph

> On Jul 10, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Blogged:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released <https://blogs.apache.org/logging/entry/log4j_2_6_2_released>
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.6.2 release!
>
> Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior. Log4j 2 is an
upgrade
> to Log4j that provides significant improvements over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x, and
provides
> many other modern features such as support for Markers, lambda expressions for lazy logging,
> property substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a PatternLayout and asynchronous
> Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature is the ability to be "garbage-free" (avoid allocating
> temporary objects) while logging. In addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while reconfiguring.
>
> This is the twelfth GA release. It is primarily a bugfix release. More details on the
> fixes are itemized below.
>
> Note that subsequent to the 2.6 release a minor source incompatibility was found due
to the
> addition of new methods to the Logger interface. If you have code that does:
>
> logger.error(null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> or similar with any log level you will get a compiler error saying the reference is ambiguous.
> To correct this either do:
>
> logger.error(“This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> or
>
> logger.error((Marker) null, “This is the log message”, throwable);
>
> Log4j 2.6.2 maintains binary compatibility with previous releases.
>
> GA Release 2.6.2
>
> Changes in this version include:
>
> New features:
> o LOG4J2-1395:  Add "direct" option to ConsoleAppender for increased performance.
> o LOG4J2-1437:  (GC) ObjectMessage and ReusableObjectMessage now avoid calling toString()
on auto-boxed primitive parameters.
> o LOG4J2-1415:  (GC) ParameterFormatter now avoids calling toString() on auto-boxed primitive
message parameters.
> o LOG4J2-1412:  Unbox utility's ringbuffer of StringBuilders is now configurable.
>
> Fixed Bugs:
> o LOG4J2-904:  If copy and delete fails in rename action then resort to truncating the
source file after copying it. Thanks to Bernhard Mähr.
> o LOG4J2-1250:  CronTriggeringPolicy was not properly setting the prevFileTime value
for the PatternProcessor so
>         file dates and times on rolled files were incorrect.
> o LOG4J2-1452:  Fixed issue where reusable messages broke flow tracing logic. Thanks
to Mikael Ståldal.
> o LOG4J2-1440:  Fix bug in OnStartupTriggeringPolicy that allowed it to roll over on
every reconfiguration. Added
>         minSize attribute.
> o LOG4J2-1414:  Fixed minor issues with the 2.6.1 web site. Thanks to Ralph Goers.
> o LOG4J2-1434:  Ensure that the thread-local StringBuilders used by Layouts to format
log events to text will not
>         retain excessive memory after a large message was logged. Thanks to Luke Butters.

> o LOG4J2-1418:  Provide MessageFactory2 to custom Logger implementations.
> o LOG4J2-1420:  RollingRandomAccessFileManager was not properly rolling over on startup
and was getting a NullPointerException.
> o LOG4J2-1417:  Fixed issue where Unbox utility ignored the value Constants.ENABLE_THREADLOCALS
and always stored non-JDK classes in ThreadLocals.
> o LOG4J2-1422:  Fixed issue where AsyncAppenderQueueFullPolicyTest sometimes hangs.
> o LOG4J2-1445:  OnStartupTriggeringPolicyTest fails on Windows saying the file is used
by another process. Thanks to Ludovic HOCHET.

> Changes:
> o LOG4J2-1432:  Update Jackson from 2.7.4 to 2.7.5.
> o LOG4J2-1433:  Update Jansi from 1.11 to 1.13.
> o LOG4J2-1444:  Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.11 to 1.12.
>

> Apache Log4j 2.6.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j 2.3 was the last
release that
> supported Java 6.
>
> Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api component, however
it does not implement some of the