logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ThreadContextMap2
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2016 22:05:29 GMT
I agree with Ralph.

I am working on custom implementations of ThreadContextMap (LOG4J2-1010, LOG4J2-1447, LOG4J2-1349)
and I'm very glad the interface is small.

My rule of thumb for API design is YAGNI: don't add until you really need it, otherwise it'll
get in the way.

Remko

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2016/08/21, at 4:59, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Why?
> 2. Why do you need to implement equals and hashcode? What other map are you going to
compare it with?
> 2. Which version? Java 8 added a bunch of new methods.
>
> I don’t really view the thread context map as a Map. It is really nothing more than
a bunch of keys and values that I want to store that are probably not really directly related
with each other, much like HTTP session attributes.  When there are cases of wanting to iterate
through the whole map we first get a copy of it.

> Ralph
>
>> On Aug 20, 2016, at 11:01 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fair enough.
>>
>> I am wondering if there is a design reason not to implement Map now that we have
the opportunity with the TCM2 interface. I'd take a crack at it.