logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mikael Ståldal <mikael.stal...@magine.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Log4j 2.7-rc1
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:35:26 GMT
I see that KafkaManager.releaseSub() is passed a timeout of 0 at runtime,
which is not very useful. How is this actually supposed to be used? How can
you make it get something else than 0?

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com>
wrote:

> We have already discussed this here: https://issues.apache.
> org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1390
>
> I don't think the release process is the right occasion to reopen this
> discussion. Can we please keep the Kafka 0.8 compatibility for this
> release, and then possibly reopen this discussion after the release (and
> possibly changing it for the 2.8 release)?
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Mikael Ståldal <
>> mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kafka server 0.8 is still in use, and newer Kafka clients cannot connect
>>> to older Kafka servers.
>>>

>> There will always be users of old software. That does not mean that new
>> versions of Log4j must support old software, especially pre-1.0 software.
>>
>> Gary

Log4j

All

Add Script in a Routes element.
map. Disabled by default, users need to enable this explicitly.
for context data to be garbage-free. Added method LogEvent#getContextData(), deprecated method
#getContextMap().
sources than ThreadContext. Values can be any Object, not just Strings. Thanks to Mikael Ståldal.
in AsyncAppender. Thanks to John Cairns.
lock-free queue in AsyncAppender. Thanks to Anthony Maire.
file from ConfigurationBuilder.
XML and YAML layouts.
to facilitate adding attributes in the future.
putAll(Map<String, String>). Thanks to Gary Gregory.
LoggerContext and add Configuration.getLoggerContext().

for web applications to be on par with standalone applications.
method to avoid breaking backwards compatibility with new Configurator.shutdown(LoggerContext,
long, TimeUnit) API.
that did not override methods with unrolled varargs.
logging from toString() method of a logging parameter object. Thanks to Larry West.
shutdown. Thanks to Misagh Moayyed, Steffen Offermann.
now suppresses the NoClassDefFoundError stack trace  for the jvmrunargs lookup. Thanks to
Lukasz Lenart.
available, Interpolator component no longer prints stack trace for warning messages.
a stack trace when the MBean has already been unregistered.
as a value attribute as well as an element. Thanks to Philipp Knobel, Leon Finker.
in a List, not a Map to prevent creating temporary Iterator objects. Added method LoggerConfig#getPropertyList(),
deprecated method #getProperties().
logging and extended stack trace pattern. Thanks to Leon Finker.
exceptions when a security manager is present. Thanks to Jason Tedor.
returned null.
is full and logged Object's toString() logs another message. Thanks to Leon Finker.
for single-char or empty messages. Thanks to Rogério Lecarião Leite.
defaulted to includeLocation=true. Thanks to Jason Bedard.
unbounded if it cannot connect to a server.
Plotkin.
params were passed as individual arguments instead of varargs. Thanks to Srikanth Surukuntu.
scheduled the task infinitely after first fire.
property is true. Thanks to Johannes Schleger.
the appender actually receives an event. Thanks to Krzysztof Taborski.
and directories whose classpath entries use the "vfs" URL protocol. Thanks to Paresh Varke,
Pierrick Hymbert.
Thanks to Igor Karpov.
configurations. Thanks to Sridevi Narra.
when used in web applications. Thanks to Jose Leon.
for compatibility with other libraries like Camel. Thanks to Moritz Löser.
passed to FlumeAppender. Thanks to Keith Laban.
comparing Nodes with different attributes. Thanks to Jose Leon.
Thanks to Sumit Singhal.
is not available on Google App Engine.
a period '.' separator for milliseconds is now garbage free. Thanks to Richard Zschech.
parameter are now garbage free. Thanks to Richard Zschech.
Thanks to Tony Baines.
now GC-free. Thanks to Richard Zschech.
Ralf, Gary Gregory.
Thanks to Roland Weiglhofer.
have their value either in the element body or in an attribute named "value". Thanks to Philipp
Knobel.
was not working correctly. Thanks to Niranjan Rao, Sascha Scholz, Aleksey Zvolinsky.
inserted NUL characters if data starts with {, (, [ or " Thanks to Sumit Singhal.
Offermann.
char[], int, Object[], int, int[]).
String, boolean, boolean, Configuration).
PatternMatch[], String, boolean, boolean, Configuration).
when object is null.

UdpSocketServer.
String).

and then "git checkout tags/log4j-2.7-rc1”

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1021/org/apache/logging/log4j/

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*