logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String, String)
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 03:42:14 GMT
I thought Gary needed a way to detect that the specified location didn't work. But perhaps
a warning message is sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 10:05, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> I'd prefer an error message but then have it continue with the current behavior.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can see both sides of the argument.
>>
>> Rather than changing the semantics of the existing method, what about adding a method
`Configurator.initializeStrict(String, String)` which fails if the specified file doesn't
exist? Not sure what the best way to fail is: return null or throw exception...

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Apr 12, 2017, at 9:13, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> Using 2.8.2, I call org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String,
String) with a non-exiting file location.

>>> The method does not return null because it found another log4j2.xml file on my
classpath. So I get a LoggerContext but not what I expect...

>>> That does not sound right to me, it should return null, and then I can look in
the status logger to see what went wrong (if I happen to have it set to DEBUG in the log4j2.xml
file it did find.)