logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String, String)
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 01:05:44 GMT
I'd prefer an error message but then have it continue with the current behavior.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can see both sides of the argument.
>
> Rather than changing the semantics of the existing method, what about adding a method
`Configurator.initializeStrict(String, String)` which fails if the specified file doesn't
exist? Not sure what the best way to fail is: return null or throw exception...

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 12, 2017, at 9:13, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> Using 2.8.2, I call org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String,
String) with a non-exiting file location.

>> The method does not return null because it found another log4j2.xml file on my classpath.
So I get a LoggerContext but not what I expect...

>> That does not sound right to me, it should return null, and then I can look in the
status logger to see what went wrong (if I happen to have it set to DEBUG in the log4j2.xml
file it did find.)