logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String, String)
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 00:47:48 GMT
I can see both sides of the argument.

Rather than changing the semantics of the existing method, what about adding a method `Configurator.initializeStrict(String,
String)` which fails if the specified file doesn't exist? Not sure what the best way to fail
is: return null or throw exception...

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 9:13, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All:
>
> Using 2.8.2, I call org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configurator.initialize(String,
String) with a non-exiting file location.

> The method does not return null because it found another log4j2.xml file on my classpath.
So I get a LoggerContext but not what I expect...

> That does not sound right to me, it should return null, and then I can look in the status
logger to see what went wrong (if I happen to have it set to DEBUG in the log4j2.xml file
it did find.)