From "Guy Nirpaz" <g...@tantian.com>
Subject Re: Is Log4j getting into Jakarta?
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:51:25 GMT
Hi Ceki,

I like very much the idea of Log4j going into Jakarta. I hope you feel very proud about that,
I do - It just reinsures my selection of Log4j.
About the name - well, I kind of got used to log4j - but if you want cat I'm 'Miyahuing' right
after you.

Cheers,

Guy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ceki Gulcu
  To: Guy Nirpaz
  Cc: log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org ; log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 4:38 PM
  Subject: Re: Is Log4j getting into Jakarta?

  Hi Guy,

  It's not public yet but since you have asked: yes, log4j should become a jakarta project
in the next few days.

of the old lists have been automatically subscribed to the corresponding list on jakarta.apache.org.
The CVS repository has also moved to Apache.

  There is a strong push to rename the package to "org.apache.log4j". I have already committed
to do this for the next major log4j release scheduled for 1Q 2001. If you have a good reason
to oppose a name change, then let us know so that we can raise the issue with the apache group.
 This is your chance to speak up.

  Some Apache members have suggested abandoning the name "log4j" altogether. I personally
don't have a problem with that since I don't really like the name log4j. I have proposed the
name "cat" (for cat-egory) or equivalently jakarta-cat. The package hierarchy would start
at "org.apache.cat." Other names/proposals are most welcome. Ceki